Plant Pathology & Microbiology Grad Student Organization
Graduate Student Seminar Exchange Project
Raise funds to start a “Graduate Student Seminar Exchange” program between ISU and other land-grant universities.
What is our Goal?
We want to create a high-value opportunity for graduate students to visit peer departments to present their research, network with faculty and peers, and foster strong connections between different Plant Pathology and Microbiology Departments around the country.
For our first year, we are collaborating with the University of Wisconsin-Madison's department of Plant Pathology to make this "Graduate Student Seminar Exchange" program possible. Iowa State and UW-Madison have a long history of excellence in plant pathology, and we believe that a seminar exchange between our graduate student bodies would help continue to foster that longstanding strength and connection between us.
Today, we start with one university but in the future, we will expand to other universities.
Our Project objectives:
- Provide the opportunity for graduate students to visit and present their research to peer departments and land-grant institutions
- Create a platform that will allow students to enhance their networking and professional skills to prepare them for the job market after graduation
- Foster strong cross-institution connections, collaboration and information sharing between Iowa State University and other land-grant universities
How will the representative of each institution be selected?
We will be deciding which student will attend the exchange with an abstract competition, taking into account the student's seniority since a less tenured student will have another chance to participate in the exchange the next year.
How will the funds be used?
- A student travel award will be created to cover basic student travel expenses such as lodging and transportation
- Cover food expenses for seminar series and mock faculty interview meetings.